Quality & Control
Our custom-built proprietary MAP ERP software, and knowledgeable employees work together to provide greater control over the entire production process. Real time information is sent directly to employees through iPads on the production floor. This real-time process gives us unprecedented control over the entire system and allows us to achieve some the the highest quality and on-time delivery stats in the business.
We have embraced a Lean manufacturing process to help eliminate inefficiencies and waste. We’ve increased throughput, reduced lead times and we consistently achieve on-time delivery ratings that are considered to be among the best in the industry. For customers who need zero lead-time, we will make an investment in keeping inventory at no added cost.
Sophisticated Milling & Turning
We utilize more than 60 highly sophisticated multi-axis CNC machining centers to run your most complex products, including impellers and hydraulic manifolds. Our full 5-axis palletized CNC machining centers are capable of producing parts unattended, running seven days a week and twenty-four hours a day.
We are also recognized for our ability to machine complex parts from titanium. We have the experience, machinery and procedures to manufacture titanium products that other manufacturers avoid.
If needed, we can provide engineering support and manufacturing expertise to work with your engineering department so that new products can be produced with even greater confidence.
Complete Assembly & Testing
We provide complete assembly and testing services for the products we manufacture. From Check Valves and Relief Valves, to Lee Plugs and Helicoil Inserts, from our Press Fit and Shrink Fit process to Gauss Testing and laser marking, all assembly is performed according to detailed specifications displayed in our MAP ERP System.
S&H continues to pursue expansion. In 2010 we acquired an adjacent facility, adding 4,500 square feet of manufacturing space. In 2013 we added our South El Monte facility with an additional 23,000 square feet. The S&H campus now occupies eight buildings for a total of 47,000 square feet. Our facilities operate more than 60 CNC machining centers plus 22 additional conventional support machines.
Our growth continues. If we don't have capacity for your job, we will invest to expand our capacity.
S&H is proud to employ a team of 87 highly skilled and motivated employees. It is easy to see how we continue to achieve world class results. S&H is committed to substantial reinvestment each year in order to keep the company and its staff on the cutting edge of technology and performance. Workforce Development and Standard Work remain top priorities for our team members to fully develop their skills and our processes. Employees are well compensated and receive outstanding benefits.This is why S&H is able to achieve our high retention rates. High retention contributes to our outstanding quality and on-time delivery ratings, so that we in turn can better serve our customers.
Six Decades of Excellence -- a brief history of S&H
1960 - Five Decades of Excellence Begins
- 1960 - Founded by Albert “Bert” Stowers and Don Hazeltine. The business was first located at 6 West Burbank Boulevard in Burbank, California, occupying 2,000 square feet. CRANE Hydro-Aire becomes the primary customer of S&H Machine, a strong partnership that continues in the twenty-first century.
- December 1962 - Kenneth Fisher joins the company as a machinist.
- June 1966 - The business is incorporated in the State of California.
- 1967 - The business moves to its present location at 900 North Lake Street, occupying 4,300 square feet of manufacturing space.
Passing the Torch
- October 1973 - Bert Stowers sells his shares to his two sons, Keith and William Stowers, and to two key employees, Kenneth Fisher and Alfred Graham.
- January 1974 - The Corporation purchases the property at 900 North Lake Street.
- January 1979 - The company completes the purchase of it's first Mori-Seiki CNC Lathes, an SL-1 and an SL-3.
- February 1981 - Kenneth Fisher becomes President of S&H Machine.
- April 1985 - Kenneth Fisher becomes the sole owner of S&H Machine.
- October 1986 - Dao Ha joins the company as a CNC Lathe machinist.
- 1990 - S&H invests nearly three quarters of a million dollars to significantly upgrade the technology in the shop, purchasing five new CNC machines and a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM).
- May 1995 - David Fisher joins the company and takes responsibility for the positions of Vice President, CFO, and Production Manager.
- 1996 - S&H begins the creation of the database system that will run the company, now known as MAP.
- November 1997 - S&H Machine acquires the adjacent building at 830 North Lake Street, doubling the size of its facility to 8,600 square feet.
- April 1998 - S&H Machine receives its first order from Vickers Sterer Division, now Eaton Aerospace Hydraulic Systems, Los Angeles.
- March 1999 - S&H Machine becomes a Certified Supplier for CRANE Hydro-Aire and is given the authority to ship parts Dock-to-Stock.
- August 1999 - S&H Machine receives its first purchase order from Haskel International in Burbank, CA.
A New Foundation
- 2000 - S&H commits to a new foundation where solutions are delivered and customer success is our Mission!
- January 2001 - S&H Machine receives its first order from Pacific Scientific EMC/West, located in Chandler, AZ.
- April 2001 - S&H Machine purchases a new Mori-Seiki SL-253, the company’s first CNC Lathe with milling capability.
- November 2002 - S&H Machine purchases a new Mori Seiki SL-2500SY, a two-spindle CNC Lathe with live milling capability, utilizing a “Y” axis for advanced milling functionality. The machine significantly increases production capacity and cost effectiveness.
- May 2003 - S&H Machine receives its first order from L-3 Ocean Systems in Sylmar, CA.
- September 2003 - S&H Machine purchases a new Mori-Seiki SL-204MC CNC Lathe with Mill/Turn capability.
- January 2004 - Dao Ha becomes Vice-President of S&H.
- February 2004 - S&H Machine adds an additional 4,300 square feet by expanding into the adjacent building at 828 North Lake Street.
- April 2004 - S&H is the founding member of the Southern California Manufacturing Group (SCMG), a peer group of companies dedicated to improving their businesses in order to better serve their customers.
- June 2004 - S&H is the first machine shop in Southern California to begin using Net-Inspect, a Live Web-based Data Collection site, to record SPC.
- September 2004 - S&H Machine purchases two new pieces of Mori-Seiki equipment, an NV5000 CNC Mill with fifth axis capability, and an NL1500MC CNC Lathe with Mill / Turn capability.
- June 2005 - S&H Machine purchases a new Haas VF-4 Super High Speed CNC Mill with 4th axis capability.
- October 2005 - S&H Joins the National Tooling and Machining Association (NTMA).
- November 2005 - S&H receives its first order from HR Textron in Santa Clarita, CA (now Woodward Governor).
- 2006 - Sales top $5 Million for the first time in the company's history.
- January 2006 - S&H passes the initial AS9100 & ISO 9001 Registration Audit from Orion Registrar with no findings.
- May 2006 - S&H begins the journey to become Lean; David Fisher tours a World Class Lean facility in the Pacific Northwest and Sees the Light.
- June 2006 - S&H Machine purchases a new Mori-Seiki CL-2000 CNC Lathe.
- July 2006 - S&H Machine purchases a second Haas VF-4 Super High Speed CNC Mill with 4th axis capability, creating its first Cellular Machining environment.
- November 2006 - S&H Machine purchases a second Mori-Seiki NV5000 CNC Mill with fifth axis capability.
- December 2006 - S&H becomes a member of SEA, the Supplier Excellence Alliance.
- May 2007 - David Fisher and Sergio Solorzano receive diplomas in Lean Operations from The Tseng College at Cal State Northridge.
- June 2007 - S&H Machine adds an additional 4,350 square feet by expanding into the adjacent building at 826 N. Lake Street. Total square footage is now at 17,200.
- October 2007 - Richard Martin joins the company as Quality Manager and AS9100 Management Rep.
- 2008 - S&H achieves the highest Quality and On Time Delivery ratings in its history. As a result, S&H is presented with CRANE Hydro-Aire's Certified Preferred Supplier Award and is also nominated as Eaton Aerospace's Supplier of the Year!
- January 2008 - David Fisher becomes President of S&H Machine.
- January 2008 - S&H Machine receives its first purchase order from Whittaker Controls in North Hollywood, CA.
- February 2008 - S&H Machine creates a new Assembly area to support Sub-Assembly and Testing activities.
- February 2008 - S&H Machine goes Green by investing in T-8 Lighting and water saving fixtures, and starts a recycling program.
- March 2008 - S&H receives the Certified Preferred Supplier Award from CRANE Hydro-Aire.
- March 2008 - S&H purchases an Amada HA250W CNC Band Saw.
- June 2008 - S&H Machine makes its largest single capital investment ever with the purchase of a Matsuura MAM 72-35V 5-axis Vertical Machining Center.
- August 2008 - S&H Machine receives its first purchase order for developmental parts from Nichols Airborne Division of Parker Aerospace.
- October 2008 - S&H Machine receives its first purchase order from Esterline-Mason Controls in Sylmar, CA..
- November 2008 - S&H Machine receives its first purchase order from Barry Controls Aerospace in North Hollywood, CA.
- December 2008 - S&H is nominated as Eaton Aerospace's Supplier of the Year!
- Year End 2008 - S&H Machine invests over 1,800 hours in Workforce Development.
- May 2009 - S&H receives the 2008 Premier Supplier Award from Eaton Corporation. One of only two suppliers out of four thousand candidates to receive this prestigious award, S&H achieves a Quality rating of 99.66% and an On Time Delivery rating of 97.74%.
- March 2010 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Applimotion, Incorporated.
- March 2010 - S&H receives the 2009 Premier Supplier Award from Eaton Corporation. This is the second year in a row that S&H has won this prestigious award, as they continue to set World Class levels of performance in Quality, On Time Delivery, and Value Added Services.
- June 2010 - S&H celebrates it's 50th Anniversary! The event was held at the S&H campus and open to all employees and their families. Also in attendance were numerous repersentatives from the S&H customer base, their supply chain, and their esteemed group of business consultants. A special slide show commemorating the event was displayed, and David Fisher, President, gave an eloquent speech about the ascension of S&H into one of the most respected aerospace manufacturing facilities in Southern California. A special commendation was presented by Ron Kato, Site Leader of CRANE Aerospace Hydro-Aire, to David and Kenneth Fisher. The award was a blueprint of the very first part S&H manufactured for Hydro-Aire mounted onto a plaque, and celebrates the fifty-year relationship between the two companies.
- August 2010 - S&H continues to expand, adding an additional 4,800 square feet at 818 North Lake Street. There are now five buildings on the S&H campus, bringing the total square footage to 22,500.
- January 2011 - S&H takes delivery of its first 50-Taper work center, a Toyoda FV1365 Vertical Machining Center with a full 4th Axis Tsudokoma Rotary Table.
- March 2011 - S&H receives the 2010 Premier Supplier Award from Eaton Corporation. This is the third year in a row that S&H has won this prestigious award, as they continue to set World Class levels of performance in Quality, On Time Delivery, and Value Added Services.
- May 2011 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Esterline Advanced Sensors.
- June 2011 - S&H becomes an approved supplier to PARKER Aerospace, Fluid Systems Division.
- June 2011 - S&H receives its first purchase order from CIRCOR Aerospace.
- July 2011 - S&H purchases a dedicated company van for pickups and deliveries.
- August 2011 - S&H receives its first purchase order from MASS Systems.
- September 1, 2011 - Sergio Solorzano is promoted to Quality Manager, and Alvaro Tenorio is promoted to Operations Manager.
- September 2011 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Canyon Engineering.
- September 29, 2011 - S&H breaks the record for Annual Sales, eclipsing the mark set in 2008!
- October 2011 - S&H completes construction of a new Inspection Room in Building 4. The room measures approximately 1,100 square feet, includes temperature controls and will allow expansion of the companies Inspection capabilities.
- October 2011 - S&H completes the installation of their first Brown & Sharpe DCC CMM! The Global Line technology combines cutting-edge mechanical innovations, state-of-the-art motion controllers, advanced temperature compensation and PC DMIS, the world's most popular and advanced metrology software.
- October 13, 2011 - S&H surpasses $6,000,000.00 in annual sales for the first time in its history!
- November 2011 - S&H takes delivery of a Mori-Seiki DMG DuraVertical 635 eco 3-axis Vertical Machining Center.
- December 31, 2011 - S&H ends the year with $7,500,000.00 in annual sales continuing our extraordinary growth.
- March 2012 - S&H takes delivery of a Mori-Seiki DuraTurn 2050 CNC Turning Center.
- June 2012 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Eaton Aerospace Jackson Fluid Power in Jackson, Mississippi.
- June 2012 - S&H takes delivery of an ADF Systems 550 Power Flush Cabinet to remove FOD from complex machined parts.
- August 2012 - S&H receives the 2011 Premier Supplier Award from Eaton Corporation. This is the fourth consecutive year that S&H has received this prestigious award, and they continue to set World Class levels of performance in Quality, On Time Delivery, and Value Added Services.
- September 2012 - S&H takes delivery of a Mori-Seiki NMV5000 DCG 5-Axis Vertical Machining Center.
- October 2012 - S&H takes delivery of another 50-Taper Toyoda FV1365 Vertical Machining Center with a full 4th Axis Tsudokoma Rotary Table.
- November 29, 2012 - S&H surpasses $8,000,000.00 in annual sales for the first time in its history!
- December 2012 - Ken Fisher celebrates 50 Years of excellence and leadership at S&H Machine!
- December 31, 2012 - S&H ends the year with $8,589,306.00 in annual sales.
- April 9, 2013 - SHM, El Monte is added to the S&H family, increasing the total square footage to 45,500 while adding 32 additional CNC machines and an additional 20 employees.
- April 12, 2013 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Parker Aerospace Hydraulic Systems Division.
- April 15, 2013 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Eaton Industrial Corporation.
- April 16, 2013 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Space Exploration Technologies.
- April 17, 2013 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Barnes Aerospace.
- June 8, 2013 - S&H receives its first purchase order from GE Aviation Systems - Yakima.
- June 13, 2013 - S&H receives its first purchase order from Moog Aircraft Group.
- August 31, 2013 - S&H surpasses key milestone and achieves $1,008,069.00 in sales for the first time in its history in the month of August!
- September 18, 2013 - S&H receives a purchase order from Eaton Aeospace Fuel Systems in Irvine, California to develop an Impeller for the Boeing KC-46 Super Tanker program.
- September 30, 2013 - S&H achieves $1,049,068.00 in sales in one month during September and surpasses the one million dollar mark for the second straight month!
- October 28, 2013 - S&H surpasses Year 2012 Sales total! Year-to-Date sales are $8,651,000.00.
- October 31, 2013 - S&H achieves $1,001,147.00 in sales for the month of October and surpasses the one million dollar mark for the third straight month!
- November 11, 2013 - S&H surpasses $9,000,000.00 in sales for the first time in it's history!
- November 30, 2013 - S&H achieves $1,032,698.00 in sales for the month of November and surpasses the one million dollar mark for the fourth straight month!
- December 3, 2013 - S&H surpasses $10,000,000.00 in sales for the first time in it's history!
- December 31, 2013 - S&H achieves sales of $10,586,440.28 in Year 2013! This represents a sales increase of 22.99% from Year 2012.
- April 2014 - S&H signs a long term purchasing agreement (LTA) with Moog Aircraft Group.
- April 1, 2014 - Q1 Sales surpass expectations as S&H achieves $2,865,568.00 in Sales.
- July 1, 2014 - Q2 Sales surpass expectations as S&H achieves $2,905,690.00 in Sales.
- July 2014 - S&H signs a long term purchasing agreement (LTA) with GE Aviation Mechanical Systems in Yakima, Washington, which was recently acquired by Triumph Group.
- July 2014 - S&H signs a long term purchasing agreement (LTA) with Woodward, Inc., to manufacture complex machined parts for the Airbus A320neo and GE Passport 20 platforms.
- July 2014 - S&H and Parker Aerospace Hydraulic Systems Division in Kalamazoo, Michigan continue to expand their business relationship.
- October 1, 2014 - Q3 Sales surpass expectations as S&H achieves $3,032,731.00 in Sales.
- December 5, 2014 - S&H surpasses $11,000,000.00 in sales for the first time in it's history!
- December 31, 2014 - S&H closes the year with a new mark for annual sales, $11,571,045.00, which represent a nine percent increase from the previous year.
- 2015 marks a shift away from the traditional "job shop" business model, embarking on a journey to transform S&H into a world class long term contract manufacturer.
- April 2015 - S&H purchases two new Matsuura MX-520 5-axis CNC Vertical Machining Centers. Trunnion style "stand alone" units, the MX-520 increases the working envelope of S&H capabilities.
- Oct 1, 2015 - Sales performance over the first three quarters are up an average of sixteen percent (+16%) from the previous year.
- November 16, 2015 - S&H installs a new Mitutoyo CRYSTA-Apex 5-Axis CNC CMM with a Renishaw REVO probe. The REVO probe allows ultra-high-speed 5-axis scanning for helical, gasket and sweeping sampling of up to 4,000 points per second. This facilitates access to complex workpieces and increases throughout during inspection measurement.
- December 1, 2015 - S&H sets new sales records after closing out the month of November, surpassing $12,000,000.00 in annual sales for the first time, and setting a new monthly sales mark with $1,260,363.00 in transactions.
- Year 2016:
- January 4, 2016 - S&H closes yet another successful year. Sales for 2015 saw an increase of sixteen percent (+16%) from the previous year, transacting $13,418,081.00 in Sales.
- January 2016 - S&H rolls out In-Process Inspection Plans in support of their enterprise-wide Continuous Improvement initiative.
- April 2016 - Q1 Sales in 2016 surpass Q1 performance of 2015 by 19.5%.
- April 2016 - S&H builds a new Assembly room to streamline sub-assembly and laser marking tasks. Complete with four workstations and KPI and MAP Schedule monitors.
- May 2016 - S&H purchases a new Doosan Puma GT2100B CNC Lathe.
- May 2016 - S&H purchases a new Doosan DNM500 II CNC Mill.
- June 2016 - S&H purchases a Bruker S1 Titan XRF raw material analysis gun to verify raw material composition.
- July 2016 - H1 Sales in 2016 surpass H1 performance from 2015 by 10%.
- July 2016 - S&H builds it's first dedicated manufacturing cell to support the Leap X Engine program.
- July 2016 - S&H purchases it's second new Amada HA-250 band saw.
- July 2016 - S&H purchases a new Trumpf Trumark 505o Laser Marking Machine.
- August 2016 - S&H purchases a third Matsuura MX-520 5-axis CNC Vertical Machining Center.
- December 2016 - S&H surpasses $14,000,000.00 in sales for the first time in it's history!
- Jan 3, 2017 - S&H closes 2016 with $14,341,067.00 in Sales, a 7% percent increase from the previous year.